Ancient monument – the Church of the blessed virgin Mary – located in the heart of Berestovitsy in Belarus. This building still retains its splendor, despite the fact that it was partially destroyed.
According to legend, once a year over a mysterious Church rises a Ghost. It is believed that the one who will notice, will find happiness in love and be successful in your career.
A bit of history
The Church of the blessed Mary in Berestovitsa was founded in 1615 in the early Baroque style. A brick building was erected on the site of a wooden Church from the 15th century, burnt in the next century as a result of the fire. The building of the new Church was designed by the famous architect Giovanni on Trevano, which in the 17th century also supervised the construction of the Church of Peter and Paul in Krakow – Brest prototype of the temple.
The Church was consecrated in honor of the blessed virgin Mary, and later it became the burial place in which were buried famous in Lithuania and the Kingdom of Poland representatives of well-known names. Here was buried Jan Karol Chodkiewicz, military chief of the Commonwealth, which has repeatedly attacked the Swedes in 1600-1611.
Józef mniszech, Cracow kasteleyn, in 1741, have ensured that the temple was repaired. In 1749 józef Potocki opened at a Church and shelter for the poor. In the early 19th century, the Church founded the first parafialny school in the Grodno region.
In 1865, the Church was closed by the decision of the Governor-General M. Muravyov, the building was given to the Orthodox, and the remains were moved to the front of the Church.
In 1920, the Church was returned to Catholic believers, which began on major holidays to conduct the services. In the 1960s the temple was completely closed and started to use it for domestic purposes. As a result, the building gradually began to decay.
Location on map
Grodno region, Berestovitsa district, Bolshaya Berestovitsa (~285 km from Minsk)
GPS coordinates: 53.19272, 24.01929