Ruzhany castle Sapieha – one of the most amazing and impressive places in Belarus. This unique area became popular with tourists who prefer to stay in our country. Ruzhany castle, previously owned by the famous old - Sapieha, many called "Belarusian Versailles".
However, many of war and revolution prevented the preservation of this architectural marvel. The ruins that visitors see today, still amaze with its splendor and give an idea of the former magnificence of the structure.
Legend has it that from Ruzhany Palace to the castle in Kossovo could previously be reached by an underground passage on horses in just one hour.
Ruzhany castle – history
Ruzhany (today's Pruzhany district) was first mentioned in the late 15th century. Until the mid-16th century the town belonged to the Commonwealth, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. At that time in Ruzhany was established production of ceramics, cloth, carpets, and artistic zones.
In the late 16th century the manor came into the possession of the author of the Statute on – the famous magnate and political leader of Leo Sapieha. In the early 17th century, he ordered to build in this place a powerful castle, which would serve as the main Palace and defensive citadel.
Ruzhany castle became the centre of political life on which the issues were resolved at the state level, were taken the kings and ambassadors. The castle was visited by such guests as the king of Poland Sigismund the Old, king Sigismund III Vasa, the king's son Wladyslaw IV Vasa. In the dungeons of the castle were kept by the state Treasury, the documents and the archive of the sapiehas.
Towards the end of the 17th century the castle was plundered and half destroyed during the civil strife of the local gentry and the great Northern war. But in 1770 the Palace rebuilt Chancellor Alexander Sapieha, who owned at that time Suganami. In the complex, the parks, gardens and greenhouses. The construction of the residence, combining the styles of Baroque and classicism, was completed in 1786.
In Luganskom Palace complex was an art gallery and a large library. Here was one of the best theaters in which acted more than 100 artists and musicians. Some performances were staged in French. The king Stanislaw August Poniatowski visited the performances at this theatre. The stage was very cleverly designed and allowed several times for the play change the scenery. Here Sapieha loved to take the royals.
During the First and Second world wars the Palace was badly damaged. Up to the present day remained the main entrance, as well as East hull, wings and entrance gate.
According to legend the Palace of Sapieha is buried jewels, which so far no one has found.
What to see in Luganskom Palace complex
Now the tourists are the updated Central entrance gate and recovered the wings. In the Eastern wing houses the Museum "the Palace complex of the Sapieha family", which presents the elements of the interior. In the gallery you can visit the exhibition of works of Belarusian artists.
Restoration of the Eastern already in place in the framework of the state program "Castles of Belarus" and will continue until 2018. For visitors planning to open a restaurant, horse-riding and to equip a hotel room.
Every year in Luganskom Palace complex is a festival "Ruzhany gate". Guests can visit the tour and to get acquainted with the past residence of the sapiehas, and also to visit the performances and a fair of folk artists.